What is a Board-Certified Veterinary DentistTM?

The American Veterinary Dental CollegeTM (AVDC) is the board certifying organization for specialists in veterinary dentistry and oral surgery. The AVDC believes that quality dental care for animals promotes increased longevity, decreases pain, and results in an improved quality of life for pets. The AVDC is committed to progress in veterinary dentistry by promoting continuing education programs for its members and veterinarians that are interested in developing and maintaining their techniques and skills in veterinary dentistry.

What does the Veterinary Dental Specialist do?

The veterinary dental specialist is trained in advanced oral surgery, medicine and dentistry. Veterinary Dental Specialists identify and treat periodontal disease, perform root canals, place metal crowns, repair jaw fractures, remove oral cancer, and correct orthodontic abnormalities. Advanced diagnostics, including dental radiology and laboratory evaluations, allow proper diagnosis of the oral health and related medical problems. Since patients with oral health problems usually require general anesthesia for evaluation and treatment, veterinary dental specialists also receive extensive training in the safe and effective use of anesthesia and pain management.

What does “Board-Certified” mean?

Board certification is the highest level of specialization that may be attained in the veterinary field. Specialty certification requires completing 3 to 6 years of training in the area of specialization beyond the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree. In addition to comprehensive training in his area of expertise, before being acknowledged as a specialist, a veterinarian must also publish original scientific articles and submit credentials of expertise to a review board in his specialty college. Following the acceptance of his credentials he/she must then successfully complete extensive written and practical examinations. When these requirements have been met, the applicant is then designated a “Board-Certified Specialist” or “Diplomate” of the respective specialty college

For more information, please visit the AVDC website.

Request an Appointment